As my final year in college is winding down (finally!) I have started to get more creative again with my healthy dessert recipes – I find it very therapeutic and it’s a nice break from college work (plus it’s an excuse to eat my favourite sweet foods) .
For my most recent recipe I have decided to experiment with Nobó’s products. I have been obsessed with Nobó since their products arrived in SuperValu a couple of years ago, there is nothing else out there quite like it. For those of you who have never heard of Nobó, it is an amazing Irish brand that sells dairy free ice cream or “frozen goodness.” All of the products are packed with natural ingredients and they do not use any stabilizers whatsoever in their products so it is the perfect healthy treat that satisfies your sweet tooth whilst nourishing your body a lot more than normal ice cream would.
The other day I was looking out the window at the particularly wet and miserable weather we have been having in Ireland over the past week or two and I was fantasying about being away in a exotic, warm country sitting outside in the 30 degree heat instead of being on a freezing bus, suddenly I found myself craving a milkshake. I HAD to have one immediately. So being the determined and sometimes not so patient person that I am I decided to create a healthier alternative then and there.
This recipe is dairy free but not vegan – if you are a vegan you can simply replace Nobó Chocolate and Toasted Almond flavour with either their Mint Humbug or Irish Salted Caramel flavour (the Mint Humbug was a limited edition product so it may be hard to find but last time I checked SuperValu in the Pavilions in Swords had some).
Serving Size: 170ml
- 1 tbsp 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 2-3 large scoops of Nobó Chocolate and Toasted Almond
- 2 tbsps Almond Butter
- 80ml Coconut Milk – add more or less depending on the consistency you want. I find that 80ml is the best to start off with and if you want it to be thinner just add more milk.
- 2-4 squares 92% Dark Chocolate, melted
- A sprinkle of Cacao Nibs (optional)
Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings I just added these particular toppings because I was really craving chocolate!
- Place a tall glass in the fridge while you prep the ‘mylk’shake, this will really give it a refreshing taste.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender until it forms the consistency that you want.
- Melt 2-4 squares of Dark Chocolate (70% or more) and pour on top then sprinkle some Cacao Nibs on top if you wish.
There you have it, a dairy free milk shake alternative with no refined sugar and packed with lots of superfoods. This recipe is so quick and simple to make and I hope you enjoy it, it really reminds me of summer. Also, don’t forget to share your recreations with me on Instagram using #nobomylkshake or by following and tagging me on your post (@neutralsandnutrition).